What are Alexa skills?
Alexa skills are interactive voice apps designed for use with Amazon devices like the Echo Spot, Echo Show and Echo Auto.
- AudioTonic creates voice apps that use Alexa's built-in capabilities
- Alexa's abilities include: answering questions, recommending local businesses, playing music, querying a data source, and providing news updates
- Alexa skills come in a variety of categories like Business & Finance and Health & Fitness
How are businesses using Alexa skills?
Businesses create Alexa apps to provide value to their target audience. It can be part of a content marketing strategy or directly focused on a product or service you provide.
- Skills be provide information or coaching on a topic of interest to your community
- Skills can allow you to manage software apps — like email — using your voice
- Productivity skills enable users to make phone calls, manage projects and schedules, track shipments, and much more
- In conjunction with IoT devices Alexa can check your home for issues like water leaks
What's next on the Alexa horizon?
- Automotive is the new frontier. With Echo Auto you can query your car from within or another location.
- Ask questions like "Is my Tesla on fire?" and "What's my EV charge status?"
- Enjoy voice-controlled navigation. Set appointments, make calls, add items to a task or shopping list, play audiobooks or music from various sources
- Create routine, location-based actions.
- Amazon has forged partnerships with BMW, Audi, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Echo Auto is currently available by invitation only.